August 15, 2026

Day 8 - Up, Up and Away

The driver from the balloon company spent the night at our camp with the staff in order to take us at four in the morning.  Our team was waiting at the car (goodness gracious) with hot water bottles, parkas and snacks.  I don't know when they sleep.
     
The car ride to the hot air balloon take-off spot was sooo very bumpy.  We saw buffalo, wildebeests and another lion on the way in the headlights of the car!
       
The take-off for the hot air balloon was crazy.  The basket was on its side.  There were four compartments that would hold up to four people each.  They loaded it compartment by compartment.  You had to get in, lay on your back with your butt on the seat and feet on the floor and hang onto handle bars.  It felt so nice and warm when the pilot would hit the fire to get it going.  We took off backwards and (felt like) upside down and it was great!
     
    
   
   
    
   
We were able to watch the sunrise. 
   
    
   
     
I liked watching to other balloons too.
      
We saw tons of animals - wildebeests, buffalo, hyenas, hippopotamuses, ostrich and a lion chase!  I would have loved to see more of the lion hunt, but the balloons do move fast.  There was a large circle of wildebeests that were running as if being chased.  
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
      
      
   
   
   
   
   
   
    
This is one of my favorite pictures from the trip!
   
   
Hello hippo!
    
The landing was smooth.
    
    
    
The balloon company had a breakfast buffet waiting when we touched down.
    
   
   
   
While our hot air balloon driver was taking us back to Wilson (who drove most of the way to meet us), we saw other cars looking at something.  It turns out, it was a leopard!! 
   
    
    
   
  
   
   
      
Not five minutes later, we saw a cheetah!
   
   
   
   
   
     
     
    
The cheetah is the only cat that normally hunts during the day.
   
   
       
   
    
Warthog babies! 
   
       
The Great Migration is a continuous cycle where 1.5 million wildebeest, zebras and gazelles loop through Tanzania's Serengeti and Kenya's Maasai Mara in search of rain and fresh grass.  There were so many of them and this photo doesn't do it justice!
  
    
   
     
     
    
Baby crocodile! 
   
Big crocodiles! 
    
Hippopotamuses 
   
       
It was right here after holding my bladder all morning that I needed to use the bathroom.  They decided it was safe for me to go behind the car.  As soon as I had unzipped my pants, our tracker started yelling in Swahili in a rushed manner.  Alex, Wilson and the kids yelled at me to get back in the car!  I thought they were joking as they were laughing when I ran back in, but it turns out there were two lionesses and a cub that got up as soon as I got out!  I think they were more afraid of me than I was of them.  They took off into some bushes.
   
   
   
   
   
   
     
      
They were very nervous so we left them alone.
   
     
   
We crossed a river a couple times on our way back to camp.
    
   
    
It was a very long drive.  The kids fell asleep.
   
   
   
    
   
   
Some baboons walked near our tent.
    
We were tired so Gladys and Liz brought lunch to us!  I was expecting a boxed to-go lunch, but they brought a fancy feast!
    
    
   
    
Liz came back later to set up canvas baths for us!
   
    
    
    
    
Gladys also brought drinks and more snacks.  This is why I gained so much weight here!
       
The kids ended up in my bath after they had played all their bubbles away.
   
   
We saw this cool stick bug!
    
     
   
Harper got these new earrings. 
     
Namunyak and her baby!
   
     
Many animals came at dusk to the front yard.
   
   
     
We hadn't known you were allowed to pet and feed these ones or we would have been doing it all along!
     
      
   
   
   
   
   
   

  They had an old car out this particular evening.
    
    
     
    
     
Every night at dinner, Gladys would bring warm fluffy blankets for my and Harper's laps.  So spoiled! 
   
The staff came out with a cake on the last night and sang happy birthday to Alex!! It was an amazing cake!
   
Alex and Wilson
    
Gladys
     
Wilson ate several meals with us during our stay and we were with him for hours every day.  It seemed so crazy to have to part ways!
    
I miss Gladys!
    
Before bed, one of the Maasai helped us stargaze.  

No comments:

Post a Comment