November 12, 2011

On Call

I had my first night on call last week!  I was really excited to spend my first night in the hospital, especially because I was with two other fun medical students.  We are required to have several call days/nights so that we can see what happens in the hospital over night and on the weekends.  We are on our surgery rotation so while on call, we are responsible for responding to all traumas and assisting the residents with the floor work.  For a weekday call, you have your normal day starting at 5:15am and then stay overnight until the conference is finished the next morning around 8 or 9.  I figured we would get a few hours to study and a few hours to sleep... not so much.  My intern was covering for all of the surgery teams and had a total of ninety-six patients!!  We were busy running around the entire night!!  I did not get to even crack my book or take a nap!  I learned the only good thing about a call is getting the next day off to sleep :)
  
The female medical student call room where Margarita and I thought we would be having a sleepover...
  
My untouched bed :(

No comments:

Post a Comment