January 1, 2021

Dream by the Fire

One of the things I have always wanted in my dream house is a fireplace.  When we were building this house, we could have added a fireplace, but we would have lost one of the windows in the living room as they would only put it in the corner.  We didn't want to loose any sunlight (and were also at our budget limit) so we skipped out on the fireplace.  One day as I was sitting in the living room, I realized we could change the room to add a fireplace!  And so our planning began!
   
This is what the wall used to look like.
   
We changed the furniture around a bit to accommodate the new wall.
  
I had to take down all the picture frames and my mirror and cover up the nail holes.
     
I found a contractor through one of my old attendings and he helped my vision to come life!  We started with the framing just before Thanksgiving.
    
We had a direct vent gas fireplace installed after extending our gas line.  The kids were immediately huge fans of the fireplace. 
    
An electrician came to add an outlet.
   
After the fireplace & gas line passed inspection, our contractor began to cover it up!
  
Almost finished!
   
I love it!  We have used the fireplace daily since the box was first installed.  The project wasn't finished until after Christmas as we were waiting on a final inspection, but we love it and it was worth the wait!  Just can't wait to see our new gas bill...
  
There is an outlet installed into the mantle for Christmas lights in the future!
    
We spent New Year's Eve playing board games in front of the fireplace.
   
Now I can't wait to decorate!  Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment