July 6, 2015

Our Little Girl

She is finally here!  Little Harper Eden Scheer was born on July 1st at 7:20pm.  She weighed 6 pounds 10 ounces and was 20 inches long.  We were able to have our July baby as planned :)  We are over the moon about this little girl :)
 
Our labor process started while I was still at work on Tuesday.  The contractions were getting stronger and stronger so I left a little early to go update Alex.  When it got to the point where I couldn't stand with contractions, we called my mom to come to Charlotte.  I was afraid of going into the hospital too early and being sent back home so we waited and waited.  I can't even remember how many tubs I took to try to help the pain.  I was avoiding sitting on our pretty furniture in case my water broke and of course the minute I decided to lay in bed on our new pottery barn sheets, pop!  We left for the hospital shortly after, but not before unloading the dishwasher of course :)
  
I was only 2cm when we arrived to labor and delivery.  My doctor on call Tuesday night was one of our former residents who had actually interviewed me for the program.  The nurses on that night were all the wonderful people who I work with every day and knew very well.  They had been anxiously awaiting Harper too!  I got my epidural pretty early on - contractions are no joke!!  Alex's parents arrived Wednesday morning all the way from Portland!  We are glad they could be in town for Harper's delivery.
  
It was very interesting being a laboring obstetrician.  I couldn't sleep because I was listening to Harper's heart beat, which was not the prettiest tracing.  She had a category II strip for the majority of my labor, but overall very reassuring and reactive :)  The doctor on Wednesday was another recent CMC residency graduate which was nice.  It is a great feeling to know your entire healthcare team so well.  I didn't need pitocin until I was 5cm on a couple checks.  It didn't take long, though, before we made it to complete!
 
Luckily, I only had to push for about twenty-five minutes.  It was the longest, most painful twenty-five minutes of my life!  My tail bone was a casualty of Harper's delivery, but when the doctor put that beautiful baby on my chest, it was all worth it.  Alex was a great labor partner and was able to cut Harper's cord.  Harper is the most precious baby and we cannot imagine a more perfect daughter.
 
Good thing frozen ice was part of the clear liquid diet :)
 
 Contracting away :)
  
The little girl and her wild hairdo!
      
Admiring our work :)
 
The cutest baby in town with her huge bow!
  
 Nanna
  
 Granddad
  
 Poppy and Gigi
 
Kate came to visit us in labor and shortly after Harper was born.  It was so nice having my residents near by :)
  
 The nights team made Harper her own pair of scrubs.  They were so cute and bedazzled!!
  
 Daddy and Harper's first diaper change!
   
 
The littlest resident :)
 
First tub!
  
 She loved her hair being washed.
  
 Daddy and baby
 
We made sure to do lots of skin to skin.
 
Aishwarya and Harper!  Throughout our stay, we had tons of nurses, residents and attendings come to visit.  They made our experience wonderful and special.
 
Courtney and Landon came to see us!
  
 Fist pump to start the friendship :)
  
Baby girl
 
Newborn screening time!
  
 She passed all her tests :)
 
Chancy and Harper
  
 Aishy, Chancy and Nathan
  
 Getting footprints made :)
   
  
 All ready to go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment