February 19, 2021

The City of Love

I decided to take a break from science and do a cultural lesson this week with Harper.  We are learning about Paris.  It helps that we have a Paris expert in our house.  We spent rainy Sunday listening to French music, making a French dessert and creating art!  We watched a few movies that took place in Paris - Ratatouille, Madeleine, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.  I took the kids on a field trip to the closest thing Charlotte has to Paris, Amelie's Bakery.  The kids picked out yummy desserts and I pointed out a few iconic decorations.  After our field trip, the kids and I marveled in the sparking lights of our own Eiffel Tower.  We also enjoyed a yummy baguette. 
    
We started our lesson with a couple books about Paris.
   
No lesson about Paris is complete without berets.  
   
   
   
  
Harper helped me make madeleines.  
     
We made our own water lily art inspired by Monet.
   
For this water lily project, I was supposed to use food coloring on shaving cream.  We didn't have shaving cream so I used sour cream...
   
   
Once the madeleines were ready, we had an afternoon cafe break.  The kids drank milk with their cookies and Alex and I had espresso.
   
   
   
Our pretty Monet art!
   
   
Next, we channeled our inner Picasso for a self portrait project.
   
    
   
Harper and Ethan were super excited to go to Amelie's.  We had not been inside since before the pandemic.  Harper pointed out the Eiffel Tower statue outside.
      
  
Minds blown!
    
     
Harper picked a chocolate cake and pink and purple macaroons.  She didn't care what the macaroon flavor was, she just liked the colors.
  
Ethan picked out a chocolate eclair and a cotton candy flavored macaroon.
   
   
   
Macaroon cheers!
   
I can't wait to see the Eiffel Tower again in real life, but until then, I can be happy with this sparkling cardboard creation.  The kids loved it!  I made it out of office boxes, spray paint and Christmas lights.
   
    
    
   
Our last craft for Paris week was making stained glass window art to learn about Notre Dame.  After our craft, we watched the Hunchback of Notre Dame.  Harper loved it!
    
   
Harper, Ethan and I ate this entire baguette.

No comments:

Post a Comment